Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Just thoughts

We have had a very busy day and I have taken all of my medicine - which usually puts me to sleep, but I am not feeling sleepy at all!! So I thought that I would blog a little about what's on my mind tonight.

I am so grateful for my family. I have the world's greatest kids who love me and who are more than willing to jump in and help (most of the time) when I need it. It has been interesting to watch them over the past 13 months transition from kids whose mom did everything for them to being more independent and helpful. I have a fantastic husband who is helping to teach the kids to be independent and taking care of me. He really loves me and that is an amazing blessing to me daily! I have great parents and in-laws who love me and support us in everything. They arrange their very busy schedules to help us and to be there for support whenever we ask them. I am blessed with brothers and sisters (natural, step and in-law) who also support us and are willing to help whenever we need it. I have nieces and nephews with testimonies of the gospel and sweet spirits who are concerned for my health and I get to play with and love. As you can see I am blessed with an amazing family!!

I also have fantastic friends who I love to visit with, go to dinner with, go to see silly teenage movies with and just enjoy! To borrow a line from Faith and Vilate's book - My friends ROCK!!

As much as I am blessed, I feel it so strongly today of all days. You see today is the day I beat the odds. The median life expectancy for my type of cancer is 8 - 13 months. Today is 13 months and one day. I have won!! Yes I know I'm not cured, the fight's not over and I don't know what the future holds, but according to the doctor, my body is fighting this thing. I am so grateful to all my family and friends - it is because of you that my body is fighting. You give me hope, you give me support and most of all, you give me your love! Thanks for sharing your sweetness and your hope for me. It definitely keeps me going!!

I love my life - as much as I hate chemo, I am learning how to rely on the Lord. He is good and He wants me to be happy. I am happy. Many people might think that sounds weird, but I truly am. I know that being happy is up to me. I can choose to "love the road that I am on" - and I do. The road I am on is not always fun, but it is a good road and I have a great destination that I am headed for. Thanks for all your love!! ~ Kaci

7 comments:

meg said...

Great post kaci. Congratulations on beating the odds. We all knew you would. Keep it up!

Barbara said...

Great post Kaci! Yes, I know you have beaten the odds-I, too have been watching the calendar. We are so proud of you and for your fighting, humble spirit. Next goal-to beat the 5% mark!! I know you will make it! I LUV the red, white and blue!! Love, Mom Cox

Tami said...

thanks for the uplifting post Kaci! you are so strong and really ARE fighting this thing. we love you.

Joanne said...

You made me get teary again!!! And...I'm not a teary person (despite my genes :)) Thanks for this post Kaci. You always inspire me to be better. Love you!!!

The Browns said...

We love you so much, every day is a blessing to know that you are there. The girls were happy to see you today. What an inspiration you are to many.

T.M. said...

I just wanted to let you know it is very possible to beat Kaisers odds. My Uncle was diagnosed 4 years ago with Maligment melonoma and was given 6 months to live. He lived until last week and should have lived a lot longer.

He stayed happy and optimistic and had his life filled with love and I know that helped him. I know you are a fighter and have love in your family and I know that your life is in Gods hands! Way to be proactive!

Amy said...

Kaci~
You are the one that rocks!! Your kids are lucky to have you as a mom! You are amazing! keep up the fight!